Coping With Heartburn During Pregnancy
Generally, most women experience heartburn during pregnancy, this has nothing to do with heart itself, it is also known as oesophageal reflux or acid reflux disease caused by changes in the pregnancy hormones whereby the oesophageal does not close and opens more frequently, especially when lying down or when you have eaten a large quantity of meals.
Additionally, during the third trimester, the growing fetus to exert some force which can make acid to leak into the esophagus. Notwithstanding, symptoms of heartburn during pregnancy are specific to some women which are dependent on their body physiology, diets, and daily habits.
See Also; Intrauterine Growth Restriction, Causes, and Prevention
Learning strategies for Coping With Heartburn During Pregnancy can go a long way to relieve you of some discomforts that are caused by heartburn.
Causes of Heartburn during pregnancy
- Effects of the pressure the growing uterus put pressure on the intestines and the stomach
- Excessive relaxation of the oesophageal sphincter wich to allow stomach acid to rise up into the esophagus.
- Consuming beverages that cause gastrointestinal distress
- Smoking during pregnancy
Ways of Coping With Heartburn During Pregnancy
1. Abstain from foods that can trigger heartburn such as processed meals and citrus fruits.
2. Eat smaller meals more frequently and avoid drinking while eating.
3. Always use pillows or wedges to elevate your upper body lying on the bed
4. Avoid wearing tight items of clothing around your waist and stomach
5. Do not smoke during pregnancy
6. Avoid lying down immediately after eating, Wait an hour after eating to lie down
7. Ensure you drink a glass of milk from time to time.
8. Chew some piece of gum after meals, ensure you avoid Avoid wintergreen-flavored gum
9. Take an over-the-counter (OTC) antacid, especially the brands that do not contain aluminum or aspirin, or have lots of sodium
“Meanwhile, let’s know if this post was helpful by sharing your opinion, using the comments box below and also remember to share the post on your various social media platforms”